Wednesday, April 11, 2012

1st Annual Ramblin Rock Comp

So the final days until my thesis presentation date are closing in and I'm finding that even though I have barely done anything this semester except my thesis [and watching a ton of Taiwanese romantic comedies], I'm don't feel ready to end my research.

Lately, I've been so busy doing research [and watching Taiwanese dramas], I haven't had time to properly update my blog.

Here's a recap of the last two weekends.

March 31st:


Hosted the GT Ramblin Rock Comp. I was super excited to have played a large role in getting the comp ready. But really, it wouldn't have been successful without Jonathan and his route setting friends from Stone Summit; the numerous donations from our sponsors; help from Knobbe and ORGT; GT Climbing Club members; and the participation of all the other climbing clubs that came to compete.

Thanks to our sponsors, we were able to put together a total 36 prizes packages to give out to top placing competitors.

I did get to compete. Jonathan mentioned the Stone Summit setters set a little reachy in the advanced division. "A little" might have been a bit of an understatement, as out of five climbs... 2 of them, I was only able to do the first move. Hahahaha. So sad.

There were only two of us girls in advanced: Francesca and me. Francesca was amazing and I stood not a chance against her. Good thing we are on the same team!

Flailing so bad! I only made about 4 moves into this one. T_T (Photo cred: Georgia  McCook)
Francesca killing it. (Photo cred: Georgia McCook)

April 8th:


This was Jonathan and my second trip this entire semester! Every other weekend has been devoted to plastic competition or thesis.

I started the day off pretty strong and manage to put 3 sends down in about an hour:

Mane Event, V4
The Eliminator, V7
Fat Cat, V5

Mane Event and The Eliminator both went in 2 go's. Fat Cat I had a bone to pick with. I tried Fat Cat about this time last year after sending Cleopatra and couldn't muster up the energy to finish the climb. Got it second go this year. Yippee.

I also gave burns on Diesel Power (one I've been avoiding since I first tried it), Redhouse, and Dragon Lady. I know I'm overly stubborn in wanting to do everything the "normal people" way. But I don't care. By the time, we called it quits at Diesel, I had every move dialed. Just not together. Next time for sure!

Diesel Power (Photo cred: Jonathan Hung)
Dragon Lady. My beta: dyno. I'm close! (Photo cred: Jonathan Hung

Blood blister from Diesel Power!
How it looks today. Gross!

This weekend is Southern Sendfest. Psyched and hoping the GT Climbing team will take home the CCS regional championship. Cross your fingers!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment