I can't say I wasn't surprised about my CCS results. While I placed 1st in all the comps I went to... I only showed up to 3 out of the 5 comps. My fault. Sure. I'm not crying over it... I bagged a lot of goodies this season.
However, this post is about the USAClimbing scoring system. The first issue I want address is the fact that all scoring is linear. So if you place 4th and score double the score of what 5th place scored... only 10 points divides your efforts and ability. Same for if you placed 1st and your buddy places 2nd. Just 10 points... regardless of your raw score. Personally, I would prefer a scoring system with a formula that created a relationship between your place AND your raw score. But that's not my decision.
What surprised me is that the final overall results displayed someone beating out Marina Musicus (trusty fellow GT climber) making her 2nd place. "She placed," you say. But if we inadvertently messed up everyone's score by 40 points, how fair would that be?
Anyway... out of curiosity, Jonathan emailed CCS about the scores and when we got back the scoresheet, we proofed their raw numbers with the actual results. I was even more surprised to see that for the Clemson comp, they completely butchered Marina's score. They attributed her 50 points for 6th place when in reality she placed 2nd and should have accumulated 90 points. And those are the miscalculated 40 points that put Emily Korth in 1st and Marina in 2nd.
Did I mention that Coker beat Jonathan apparently at the Clemson comp? Jonathan was given all of 1 point for that comp. I love Coker, but seriously, don't make me laugh.
Let me put it this way. Fine, USAClimbing if you want to use a linear scoring system. Not fine making simple entry errors into your final results.
Lastly, we found that the total team scores were also calculated incorrectly. True... Clemson still kicked our butts. But if team scores are made of your top 3 men and women scores (based this off their rulebook....), then NO WAY Clemson got a team score of 2350. If they did, it means all 6 of their teammates each averaged 391 (4 events total) as their overall score. Meaning they ALL placed 1st in all the events. Impossible.
No comments:
Post a Comment