It's been great thus far. Our first two days in Barcelona, Jonathan and I explored the city. We even visited Climbat Barcelona which is the bouldering gym featured in King Lines with Sharma.
The old Climbat (bouldering only gym)
The Europeans there were super nice and we got some good climbs in. Don't know how accurate the grades were since I flashed a 7a there but could barely string together an incredibly burly 6b after working it for 30 minutes.
After climbing for about 3 hours, the Frenchman working behind the counter at Climbat recommended a bar about a 5 minute walk away. Jonathan and I ordered some tapas dishes. I was served a glass of champagne for €1.5 and Jonathan ordered a drink served in a porrĂ³n. Our total lunch cost was about €6.
Day 3 in Europe, Jonathan and I took met up with his parents for a cruise on Royal Caribbean to Rome, Civitavecchia, and the island of Sardegna. I think I ate shrimp every day on the cruise. Delicious!!!
Our ship, the Liberty of the Seas
On the first day of the cruise, J and I decided to check out their climbing wall. I mean... why not since we'll be without wall and rocks while at sea? Anyway, we get to the wall and there is a short Aussie guy there. We ask him if it's we could bend the rules and not wear socks if we brought our own shoes. He looks at us, "Well that's a little sad."
"What?" We asked him. Both of us pretty sure we heard him wrong.
"I mean, it's a little sad that you brought your own climbing shoes." He replies.
You know what I think is sad, bub? Your cruise ship rental shoes.
But no worries, we didn't let his lack of enthusiasm faze us. The same day during wall orientation, we met Canadian Lisa, the most awesome cruise ship wall attendant ever. Day 2 of the cruise ship, we jumped in on their bouldering competition. Which, might I add was just a "speed traverse" across their entire wall. Jonathan placed first with a little over 20 seconds. I placed third just 3 seconds to a New York guy who climbs 5.8. Which by the way... might I add that when I told him that helmets hinder bouldering (yes, we were required to wear helmets when bouldering, too) he said that I only thought that because I cared about how I looked while climbing. Uh... no bubba. I care about climbing hardest at all times and if a helmet helped me climb V10, I would so be all over that. Anyway, Jonathan pulled me away before I could get in an argument.
Don't their medals look like transformer medals?
On the last day of the cruise, Jonathan and I participated in their speed climbing competition... which was just climbing their routes on the left wall to the top as fast as possible. Let me tell you, it isn't that easy since there are like holds every 5 inches that get in the way. Jonathan placed first in Mens with a time of 19 seconds. I placed first with 29 seconds... not that I'm bragging since I placed first out of two female competitors. Haha.

No comments:
Post a Comment