Saturday, July 9, 2011

SCS Youth Nationals Day 3 (Speed)

Thanks to my persistent brother who already volunteered Day 1, I was dragged to Stone Summit today. And by dragging, I mean I giddily voluntarily went. We showed up at 9:30 am so Stephen could pick up his free passes and ask if they needed additional help. It was mom's first time there and we watched a little of the sport climbing. I think it scared her since she's never seen sport before... only bouldering. The kids were amazing.

Stephen and I came back around 3:30pm to help get ready for the speed climbing events. Which, by the way, I am very excited about my SCS volunteer shirt even though it's a Large.

We were both assigned as "showers." And by "showers," I mean "show-ers".... like we show the kids their scores. Not showers. It was incredibly exciting with everyone cheering. The only down side was because we were showing scores to the younger kids, I hardly got to see most of the older kids climb the standardized speed climb. I was half trying to direct the little ones to the table and half the time trying to crane my neck to peek at the other kids. Luckily, after the first 4 waves, the shower for the Juniors speed climbing needed to leave so I jumped at his job.

Rules overview: Climbers placed in pairs to compete. Each competitor runs up the speed climb twice. Their fastest time is their accepted time. Falls do not lead to disqualification. However, if your belayer feels the rope was weighted, it's counted the same as a fall.

Highlights from Day 3 Speed:

1) Kayla L. pulling like a 7.58 time in her division. Beats out all the girls in the two divisions above her as well.
2) Males Juniors paired two black climbers (Alex J. and Julian B.) and two asian climbers, respectively against each other. What are the odds? I laughed when the two Asians bowed at each other before starting.
3) Alex Johnson falls on his first climb while Julian pulls 6.04 secs to the top. Second go, Julian pulls a 6.2 and Alex hits the top with 6.03.
4) Francesca falls on her first go. And I have to show her that her score is a fall (silly, I know... as if they need reminding that they fell). She gives me a thumbs up as they untie her and says "Awesomeeee."

We didn't stay for the final results, but it can probably be found on www.usaclimbing.net or www.scsnationals.org in the next few days or so. So that's a recap for Day 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment