As you know, Float the Boat has been a tradition of mine to attend every year since I started climbing. I almost didn't want to attend this year because I was worried I would have pretty much the same scorecard as last year since I've only made a couple trips to Boat Rock the last 365 days. I'm glad Jonathan convinced me to keep the tradition, man up, and go.
I did end up winning Women's Open. However, it's really not worth bragging about since I was the only woman to enter the division. And no women entered advanced. Heh. All the stiff competition for the girls was in beginner's and intermediate's. Mad props to my friend Amanda Hoppers for placing first in Women's Intermediates. Also hats off to Dallas Dean for placing 1st in Intermediate Men.
Regardless of how the competition is, I always try my hardest. I hate it when people say I'm strong "for a girl." So my goal was to score high enough to at least put up a fight with the boys in Men's Advanced.
Overall, I had a fabulous day climbing despite the less than optimal warm temperatures.
Most of all, I was psyched to get McGilla Gorilla (downgraded to a 4, sadly), Python Right, and The Shark. Three climbs not on the ticklist and ones I hadn't really tried before.
I was especially ecstatic about The Shark. Dylan walked me over to the problem and gave me some great beta. I guess it was my lucky day, because it went 4th go. I will definitely say it looks better than it is. There's a nasty dish (Dylan called it a crimp, such LIES) and another thin crimp where you just crank on and get a high foot. The fake crimp is just randomly aligned crystals. Mangled fingers galore if you try to put a finger on each large crystal. Ego-happy since they told me none of them had ever seen anyone send it. Thanks to Dallas and Dylan for the great spots!
Here's my ticklist:
1) Keeper of the Boat Sit, V5
2) Paint Can, V5
3) Lost Boys Throw, V6
4) Venom, V5
5) Yellow Arete
6) Python Right, V5/6
7) Stuck in the Middle, V4
8) McGilla Gorilla, V4
9) The Surgeon, V5
10) The Shark, V7
Favorite Part of the Day (sums up how I feel about Boat Rock)
Andrew Minnick sends Jamaican Me Crazy. And the camera man and interview lady catch it on film.
Interview lady: Wow! What was that one?
Andrew: It's a V7.
Interview lady: Is that the hardest climb here?
Me: I think V9 is?
Andrew: Actually there's 10s and 11s, but here they call them 8s.
Buh dum, tssssssssss.
Favorite Part of the Day (sums up how I feel about Boat Rock)
Andrew Minnick sends Jamaican Me Crazy. And the camera man and interview lady catch it on film.
Interview lady: Wow! What was that one?
Andrew: It's a V7.
Interview lady: Is that the hardest climb here?
Me: I think V9 is?
Andrew: Actually there's 10s and 11s, but here they call them 8s.
Buh dum, tssssssssss.
Anyway, the comp had a great turnout and raised over $5k for the Southeast Climbers Coalition. Mind I remind you Boat Rock is the only crag I know that is owned by the community. So every bit we give goes right back to us! Go Team Boat Rock!
Update [2.10.2012]: Float the Boat 2012 Overall Results
Update [2.10.2012]: Float the Boat 2012 Overall Results
No comments:
Post a Comment